Friday, June 5, 2009

You're never too old to make new friends!

I made a new friend today, and it's an interesting story!

Not long after I opened my shop on Etsy last October, I was browsing the feature that allows you to find other sellers in your area. I found one located here in Northport, a stay-at-home mom with young kids who was also trying to turn her creative passion into a business. I contacted her and we e-mailed several times. She was wondering if I had any tips on getting that first sale on Etsy. I shared what I thought was helpful, and shortly thereafter we lost touch.

On May 13th, I started this blog, and contacted as many people I could think of to share my stories, and hopefully, draw a following. Yesterday, I gained my 5th follower, and was pleasantly surprised to find out it was my long lost friend, Vera! She had kept our e-mails, and checked in to see how my shop was doing, and that's when she found my blog address.

To make a long story short, it turns out we live within walking distance, and our kids attend the same elementary school. We spoke on the phone for an hour, and I think we have a lot in common. We both became moms later in life, love gardening, cooking and baking. I've traveled her street many times, and know a lot of her neighbors. She house hunted near my home, and as soon as I mentioned the barn in my yard, she knew exactly where I lived. And of course, we share the same dream, of turning our creative passions into a business, which would allow us to remain home with our kids. The next step is to meet, and that will be another blog post!

So no, we are never to old to make new friends. They just might be right around the corner!

Please visit Vera's blog: Emily Lane Studio on my blog list.

2 comments:

  1. I love your barn! What do you keep in it? I dream of having a studio in a barn. That's so cool about your new friend. I love it when stuff like that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool story! Everything happens for a reason.

    xoxo,
    Brandy

    ReplyDelete